Skip to main content

Building a mid-cap, small-cap portflio

I am thinking of building a mid/small cap portfolio of not more than 10 stocks with a part of my monthly investable surplus. The strategy that I have thought of is to have a 70:30 debt:equity ration. So, I will be putting about 30% each month in either a recurring deposit or PPF. The rest of 70% I am planning to break up into two chunks of 40% and 30% each of mid-cap/small-cap stocks and equity mutual fund SIPs respectively.
In the equity mutual fund space, I think I will focus more on large cap funds like HDFC Equity, Franklin Templeton Prima Plus and Reliance Vision with an allocation of 10% each.
Amongst the stocks that I am currently looking at are:
1. Opto Circuits
2. Sintex Industries
3. Yes Bank
4. Sundaram Transport Finance
5. Bartronics
6. ICSA
7. Everest Kanto Cyclinders
8. Power Finance Corp
9. IDFC
10. Voltamp Transformer
11. Punj Llyod
12. Savita Chemical
13. Pidilite
14. Blue Star
15. Voltas

And maybe a couple of cyclicals/special situations like Tata Steel, Tata Motors, Grasim, Ambuja Cement, McLeod Russel etc.

The idea is to look for growing companies which can deliver superior returns over a 3-5 year horizon. Companies with high RoE/RoCE, + cashflow, stability of earnings, industry scalability is something to be looked at.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: My new ebook reader - Infibeam PI

I bought a new ebook reader. It is the Infibeam PI (www.infibeam.com/PI) . I have seen and used both the Amazon Kindle and Sony ebook reader. The main reason I selected the PI is because it was available in India. I did not have to wait for weeks to get my hands on it.

I will not go into detailed comparisons between the three readers I have used. The reason I bought the ebook is to read books. Although that sounds rather a stupid thing to say, I found some features on Kindle quite superfluous to book reading. Like the space consuming keyboard. I dont know of any book which comes with a keyboard, so why should an ebook come with one. If I have to surf the net, I will use my laptop to do it.

The whole buying process was easy and seamless. Delivery happened within 3 working days. The only regret I had was my father was not there to see this. He was pretty excited with the concept of an ebook reader and I had entrusted him with the duty of checking the condition of the parcel when it arrive…

Book Review: Let's Do Lunch by Roger Wilson

I read this book sometime back as part of my journey of understanding food and how it affects the body and mind. In the last two years I have managed to lose about 10kgs of weight and in the process have learnt a fair deal about food, although not enough to talk authoritatively with a nutritionist.

Roger Wilson's book deals mainly about how the author lost a significant amount of weight himself after trying his own diet plan. The diet he followed was eating fruits and proteins. His lack of fundamental knowledge of nutrition makes his commentary a suspect from the very beginning. This book is more a chronicle of the authors weight loss journey than a guide to healthy eating.


Conclusion: Better to avoid.